Natural Options For Your Teething Baby
By Dr. Aida Martinez Chorro, ND
When do baby teeth begin to appear? Well, it can start as early as 3 months or as late as 12 months. Some babies experience this process in a smooth manner and others can suffer quite a bit with fever, discomfort, irritability and pain. If you are a parent seeing your little one suffer, here is a list of natural remedies that you can try to help your babe through her/his teething:
- Chamomile tea: soak small cloths with chamomile tea and put them in the freezer. When they are cold enough, give them to your babe to chew on. The cold and the analgesic properties of chamomile tea will give some relief.
- Clove oil: this aromatic oil has analgesic properties and it’s one of those time-tested remedies for toothaches that is worth trying. Apply directly or diluted to the gums. Make sure you purchase the type that is safe for ingestion.
- “Camilia” by Boiron: this is a homeopathic formula that I have recommended many times and is quite effective for the pain and fever associated with teething. It comes in convenient single use ampoules for easy administration. Parents love this product because it comes in a sterile water base, so babies don’t mind the taste at all.
- Teething tables or gel by Hylands: this is another homeopathic formula. Some parents prefer the gel over the tablets as it can be placed directly on the gums.
- Teething toys placed in the freezer: always keep a few in the freezer so you always have a supply for when your little one shows signs of discomfort.
- Amber necklace: in addition to looking very pretty, amber necklaces are famed for providing ongoing relief if worn everyday. The benefit may be due to the anti-inflammatory properties of amber.
- Teething formula by Clef des Champs: this is a liquid herbal formula that contains plants with anti-inflammatory, calming, and analgesic properties. It comes in a glycerite base, which makes it more pleasant tasting than alcohol.
I hope that your baby can find some comfort in at least one of the above remedies!
Aida Martinez Chorro is a naturopathic doctor and homeopath who loves working with children and their families. She uses safe and natural interventions to help children with autism, digestive conditions, as well as working with those who want to be proactive about their aging brain and who have family histories of dementia. But what she’s really passionate about is giving families the results they want to see and helping them lead happier lives together.
She practices at the North Toronto Homeopathic Medicine and Wellness Centre in the Yonge and Lawrence neighbourhood. You can find out more information by calling 647-887-8117, by visiting www.thehealthpath.ca, or on Facebook at Natural Health Solutions by Aida Martinez Chorro, Naturopathic doctor.