As a Naturopathic doctor, I have found that in our society there are people who know that Naturopaths exist but they don’t know what we do and there are also people who don’t even know we exist. Of course, there is also a growing number of people who seek out the help of an ND (Naturopathic doctor) for their whole family, lead healthy lifestyles and tend to be proactive about their health. For people who are not sure where we fit in someone’s healthcare team, I’ve made a list of the 5 main reasons why you would add an ND to your health team.
1) You want to work with a doctor that listens to you and spends more than 10 minutes with you per visit. An ND usually dedicates 1.5 hours to the initial visit to explore your health concerns. We are interested in the whole being and not just a part of you and so, we discuss the physical, the mental and the emotional aspects of your life as well as lifestyle and nutrition. Follow-up visits are usually 1/2 hr or 1 hr long.
2) You don’t want to settle for just symptom control, but you want to FIX your problems. NDs strive to identify the root of the problem and promoting balance in all aspects of your life. We like to get you fixed up as a whole person!
3) To save money. Seeing an ND will save you money by choosing the right supplements and natural health products that are specific to your needs. If you find yourself taking supplements because your friend read about it on a magazine, Dr. Oz says it’s good for you or the guy at the health food store recommended it but you’re not sure if it’s doing anything for you, see an ND! I’ve seen people who come in with a full bag of supplements and leave with a condensed list of what they actually need, at the right dosage. Stop spending money on products that may not be right for you.
4) Prevention and reaching for optimal health. As NDs, we pride ourselves in our focus on prevention and teaching our patients practical ways to lead healthier lives in the present and future. Once we get you feeling better, we always ask ourselves, how can we help you feel EVEN BETTER? We believe that by striving for optimal health, we can create a culture of wellness.
5) You want someone to fix your boo-boo without causing other boo-boos that are often even worse than your original boo-boo. Most of our therapies are free of nasty side-effects.
About the author:
Dr. Aida Martinez Chorro is a naturopathic doctor who loves working with children and their families. She uses safe and natural interventions to help children with autism, digestive conditions, as well as working with those who want to be proactive about their aging brain and who have family histories of dementia. But what she’s really passionate about is giving families the results they want to see and helping them lead happier lives together.
She practices at the North Toronto Homeopathic Medicine and Wellness Centre in the Yonge and Lawrence neighbourhood. You can find out more information by calling 647-887-8117, by visiting www.draida.ca, or on Facebook at Natural Health Solutions by Aida Martinez Chorro, Naturopathic doctor.