- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 sweet peppers
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika or paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 onion
- 2 gloves garlic minced
- 3 oz pancetta or cured ham, cubed
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Broil red peppers turning occasionally until softened and charred, 10-15mins. Let cool, then peel, seed and core. Toss in food processor and puree peppers with tomato paste until smooth.
- Cut chicken breasts in half. Toss chicken with paprika and salt. Heat 1tbsp of olive oil in a pan over med-high heat and brown chicken in batches. About 8 minutes. Transfer to plate. Drain fat from pan and wipe out.
- Add another 1tbsp of oil to pan; saute onion and garlic until soft about 5 minutes. Add pancetta and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan.
- Add tomatoes and bring to boil. Stir in red pepper mixture. Cover and simmer over med-low heat until thickened and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve on a bed of rapini with garlic. You may add toasted pine nuts if you like.
Kirsten Bedard – BSC Nutrition, ACE