Fresh crisp air, blooming flowers and trees, birds chirping and more smiles on people’s faces are are signs that spring is here! Unfortunately, for 20-25% of the Canadian population, this time is not as pleasant as it is for most of us. To this group of Canadians, spring means the beginning of their allergies. Allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever, affects people in varying capacities, as it can vary from simple sneezing and a runny nose to severe headaches, fatigue and inability to perform tasks of daily living. Many people turn to over-the-counter relief, which can cause drowsiness, dry mouth and nose, dizziness, headaches, insomnia, nervousness, urinary retention and distorted vision. Correct me if I’m wrong but a lot of the adverse effects caused by these substances are exactly what we are trying to get relief from! In come the homeopathic options, which when properly selected, can bring instant relief to your allergy symptoms without the side effects. Homeopathic remedies are meant to be chosen based on the particular symptoms that are specific to you, which is why you’ll notice that there is not just one remedy mentioned here. Read each carefully and see if one matches your case. For proper dosing and more personalized care, consult with your naturopathic doctor.
- Allium cepa: If you need this remedy, your symptoms include copious watery nasal discharge that irritates the openings of your nose, frequent sneezing and watery eyes.
- Arsenicum album: This remedy may work for you if your nasal discharge and watery eyes cause burning sensations. This remedy may also help if your allergies are accompanied by asthma.
- Euphrasia: This remedy is good for those who suffer from red eyes and copious tearing which irritate and burn the eyelids. You may also have a feeling as if your eyes were filled with sand. You may also have a runny nose, intense sneezing, a tickling cough and post nasal drip.
- Sabadilla: If you experience non- irritating nasal discharge accompanied by eye irritation and tickling and itching of the palate (roof of mouth), this remedy is for you.
- Wyethia: This is my go-to remedy for my patients who experience extreme itching of the nose, throat, and especially the palate. These are the people you hear making those clicking noises with their tongue in an effort to scratch the palate.
In addition to the above homeopathic remedies, I’ve also had great success treating allergies with the use of stinging nettle tea, quercetin, and a good dose of vitamin C with bioflavonoids. Don’t forget about daily nasal irrigation with the use of a neti pot (caution of you are prone to nosebleeds) as this can also provide instant relief. Remember that the recommendations on this post are mainly for temporary relief. Long term resolution of allergies may be possible with constitutional homeopathy and other allergy protocols. If you have any questions regarding allergies or the recommendations mentioned here, feel free to ask on my Facebook page livepage.apple.com
Aida Martinez Chorro is a naturopathic doctor and homeopath who loves working with children and their families. She uses safe and natural interventions to help children with autism, digestive conditions, as well as working with those who want to be proactive about their aging brain and who have family histories of dementia. But what she’s really passionate about is giving families the results they want to see and helping them lead happier lives together.
She practices at the North Toronto Homeopathic Medicine and Wellness Centre in the Yonge and Lawrence neighbourhood. You can find out more information by calling 647-887-8117, by visiting www.thehealthpath.ca, or on Facebook at Natural Health Solutions by Aida Martinez Chorro, Naturopathic doctor.